Saturday, February 14, 2004

New York, New York

(see, I'm relaxed already!)

Went ice skating today in Prospect Park with V. He's never been ice skating before, but ended up enjoying himself. I haven't skated in a long time, so I was a touch wobbly myself. Luckily for both of us, we rollerblade regularly during the summer! I am one of those Manhattanites who treats Brooklyn like another country (what?! you don't have to go through customs to get there?!), I hate to admit it, but I am. So, today is a rare day indeed: Two trips to Brooklyn! One for the ice skating, one for a lovely French dinner in a few hours.

In other news, my roommate, a former citizen of Brooklyn, is on her way there now to pick up a little red kitten that we are going to adopt. Miles was just too much for us, I'm afraid.

The other day - I meant to post this then - I passed a mosque in the East Village. A muezzin was singing at the front door, I guess calling people to pray. Traffic flowed past along the Avenue. Across the intersection, a man stood on the corner, holding up his cellphone so his friend could hear the eerie and beautiful song... or maybe he was recording it. East meets West? Or just two different sides of the West?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home