Sunday, January 30, 2005

Cunctating Again

Weekends are so bittersweetly brief.

*****

Our next project: invertebrates. The kids are going to work in pairs. Each pair will get one group of invertebrates - cnidarians, flatworms, sponges, crustaceans, insects, echinoderms, you name it - and research it, then prepare a 15-20 minute lesson for their classmates, including homework and quiz questions (which they will submit to me to be compiled into one big test at the end of the unit). I've never done this kind of project before; should be interesting. If nothing else, maybe they'll get a sense of the kind of work that goes into teaching.

*****

I'm in the middle of a clothing purge. I had one of those days when you look at the jeans you're wearing (4? 6? years old and at least a size too big) and swear to yourself that you will never, never wear them again. And suddenly you realize that Clinton was president when you bought a lot of the clothes in your closet--and they look it.

Goodbye, socks with holes in the ankle.

Goodbye, jeans-from-before-I-lost-weight. Yes, even you, my favorites. It's been fun.

Goodbye, shirts that have lost their shape and show my bellybutton in the winter, when that's not a good thing.

Goodbye, sweaters from when I lived in New England and needed to fit three layers underneath my sweater and anyway, I didn't really want anyone to notice my figure so I wanted them oversized...

Hello, shopping trips.

Hello, credit cards.

Hello, gift certificates from Christmas-time.

*****

Here's another project I'm working on. My afterschool drama class is going to do "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" - someone turned it into a children's play, and then Roald Dahl liked it so much he helped get it published. And, best of all, the book doesn't say anything about royalties!

I'm going to see if I can get one of my eighth graders - a particular boy who's very good at this sort of thing - to update the Oompa-Loompa songs with a little hip-hop twist.

Johnny Depp ain't got nothin' on us!

*****

I wanted to do the Idiotarod. I even had a few friends interested. But none of us wanted it quite badly enough to get organized, acquire a shopping cart, think about what to wear and the best route to travel... oh, and none of us are in very good shape right now... so in the end, all I did was watch, from a cafe on Avenue B. It looked like so much fun that my friend S. and I have promised each other we will do it ONCE in our lives. Corie did it.

*****

And on that note, I would really like to learn to play the drums. Maybe when I'm 35 and have quit teaching to do some kind of writing/editing job that allows me to work from home so I can raise my kid and still have a career... maybe in between burping and proofreading I could take drum lessons?

*****

Gosh, the title of this post sounds obscene!

*****

Tomorrow, my friend S. and I plan to get some exercise.

*****

S. and I had one of those "only in New York" moments today. We both want haircuts. Her short haircut desperately needs refreshing, and I just have too much hair. Being cheap, we were thinking that tomorrow we'd go to a call for hair models at bumble & bumble - you let their hairdressing students use your head, they give you a free haircut. So today, we were out shopping - thanks to the clothing purge - in Union Square, and this guy approaches S. He says, I'm a hairdressing student at bumble & bumble, and I have this cut that I need to practice that would be perfect for your type of hair... do you want to set up an appointment?

And with that, S. got herself a free haircut.

(He told me I could call him next month, when he has to practice cuts on longer hair).

*****

My roommate redesigned her blog.

*****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home