Friday, August 19, 2005

Mudras

It's "mudra month" at Laughing Lotus, where I practice yoga. Mudras are hand gestures that are supposed to help bring about certain states of mind.

With <24 hours to go before the gifted ed test, I feel like I've done everything I can to get ready... but I'm not above a little help from ancient Indian traditions! LOL

I asked Ivy, one of my favorite yoga teachers, if we could work on anxiety and mental focus. She laughed, as she'd already selected the jupiter mudra for our class today. Basically, clasp your fingers, cross one thumb over the other, and then point your index fingers (touching each other). The benefits? "With the the two index fingers together, the power of Jupiter, or good luck and expansion is activated. Together they focus your energy to break through barriers."

The other one I'll be doing on the subway tomorrow on my way to Queens is guyan mudra: "The tip of the thumb touches the tip of the index finger, stimulating knowledge and ability. The index finger is symbolized by Jupiter, and the thumb represents the ego. Guyan Mudra imparts receptivity & calm."

For pictures, see the link above!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home