Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I really respect Anthony Weiner...

for conceding the Democratic mayoral primary to Fernando Ferrer, given that Ferrer is only about 250 votes short of the 40% needed to avoid a run-off. Oddly, the city is required to hold the run-off anyway, at great expense and high drama. I really, really hope they find a way around this.

*****

And on another note, did you know that if you paste a URL into MS Word and then add text to it, and later copy & paste the whole thing into Blogger, the links won't work properly, even though they are correctly formatted to the naked eye? I didn't - but it is a rather fascinating thing to discover!

*****

A further update: we went from 2 possible science teacher candidates to one kinda maybe candidate. I will spare you the details.

*****

High school prep after school started today. For the next 4 or 5 weeks, I'm doing intensive test prep with a group of 8th graders who are going to take the Specialized High Schools Exam in October - the test that gets you into Bronx Science, Stuyvesant, etc. Today, almost 30 students showed up (that's nearly half of our eighth graders, and remember that another 8 or so are in other after school prep programs). I'm thrilled that they all want to take the test and have set a high goal for themselves... but I need to whittle the numbers down a little. I gave a practice test today, and those who score really low will be counseled out, since they will really just be spinning their wheels. It's a hard test; a tiny fraction of the 20,000+ students who take it get placed in specialized high schools. I hope to work closely with a smaller group who actually have a shot, rather than trying to be everything for everyone.

*****

Remember that gifted ed test that I took? Part of the reason for taking it was that we were promised reimbursement for the more than $2000 we spent on credits at Confratute if we just got certified in gifted ed. Unfortunately, the woman who made that promise has been avoiding us, not answering emails, etc. And another woman involved responded to a colleague's email and said that our school is supposed to reimburse us. That's not what we were told! I really, really hope she's misinformed. And yes, I was stupid not to get it in writing but it was a split-second decision kind of thing... I need that money!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home