Friday, September 30, 2005

It is a bad sign...

that I spent so long looking for my watch this morning that I left my house really late - a teacher can't live without her watch, especially a teacher whose classroom clocks are both broken - only to have a colleague point out on the train platform that my watch was on my wrist.

Leaving school, I couldn't find my keys. They weren't in any of their nests in my classroom, and they weren't in my other classroom, or sitting on the copier. And they weren't on the bathroom sink, which is where I leave them at least once a week (tricky, as you need the keys to open the bathroom door). Another teacher found them, on the floor beside my desk. How they got there, I will never know.

It's okay, though, because I am comfortable with uncertainty and the unknowable.

Otherwise, it was a good day. Most of the sixth graders went to visit Columbia University, where the highlight was apparently the all-you-can-eat buffet, while I stayed at school with those who didn't earn the trip (it was an incentive). I had them for 3 hours, which was a bit much, but I think it is a good sign that we didn't hate each other at the end of the day. Three hours of me is a LOT.

Yes, I am a teacher. I spend my days saying things like, "the ruler isn't a weapon or a toy," "no jousting with meter sticks," "look him in the eye when you apologize," and "girls, where are you supposed to be right now?" This is not everyone's work day, but it's not unpleasant.

*****

Yoga was awesome today. I feel stretched out, re-aligned, happier, lighter. It doesn't hurt that it's Friday.

*****

The Trembling Blue Stars are apparently twee pop. Learn a new word every day. They are playing at Rothko. I have their EP and like it a lot. I don't think they sound much like Belle & Sebastian, though. But I think I'm going to the Knitting Factory to see one of my sailor friends/acquaintances play, instead. Her name is Alice Lee. I doubt that her music is twee.

*****

I will stop making mysterious references. It's not good writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home