Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Okay, so here's what I want to know...

Is there a website that's reporting details about the morning commute, such as how long the wait is for a cab/carpool at various locations, how fast traffic is moving uptown/downtown/east side/west side, etc.? Basically, I've decided to meet a couple of colleagues at 90th & Lex at 8 am tomorrow, and I need to know how much time to allow to get there from the East Village in a cab or a carpool... I really don't even have a guess. I don't mind being early or a bit late, but I can't be too late or they will have to leave without me. It seems like now that we're moving into the second day of the strike, we should be able to learn from others' experiences in order to make everything more efficient. Any thoughts?

I did some laundry, mopped the floors, cleaned the bathroom, made a mix on iTunes, and graded a few (not enough) papers, but I never really managed to leave the house today. How does this happen?

9 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

I think it was Quentin Crisp who said cleaning was a waste of time. He suggested that after the first two years, the dirt doesn't get any worse.

Nonetheless, despite a lifelong aversion to cleaning, i've found that papers seldom, if ever, mark themselves. Keep an eye out for a building assignment in which you'll be able to mark papers.

If you don't like your assignment, be sure to do a terrible job so you won't be asked back.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Mrs. N said...

I have had entire days when I've never left the house and not been as productive in the housework/schoolwork as you were today. Don't complain.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Frizzle:


As a science teacher its a good time to catch up grading lab reports.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you cabbing it? If so you may need 4 in a car just to travel to that part of Manhattan. You might want to check on that first.

Call some local cab companies and explain your situation, they may be able to judge the time for you.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that the four-in-a-car rule only applies to cars coming from outside of Mnahattan or uptown into areas below 96th St. I don't think it aplies to people traveling from one location below 96th to another. And the traffic heading out of Manhattan shouldn't be too much worse than usual, but I wuld recommend getting an early start -- maybe planning to be at your school 30-45 minutes earlier than usual just in case. I'm on the Upper West Side and this morning at 7AM-8AM or so there was very little traffic heading in either direction on Broadway or on Amsterdam Ave, if that's any indication of what you might encounter.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Biking it?

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New York Times' Guide to Commuting

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have any advice, but I'll wish you good luck for the commute....

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably won't find more detailed information than this:

http://www.traffic.com/New-York-Traffic/New-York-Traffic-Reports.html

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home