Saturday, January 21, 2006

The bogeyman looks so real...

Or, the most realistic nightmare I've ever had.

Dreamed that I was sitting in my principal's office, with her, my AP, and the other team leaders. It was the day after the kids went to Manhattan for their first ballroom dance lesson - and loved every minute of it. It was a robotics day.

We were talking about the fact that we are expanding again, adding another sixth grade class next year, and how we'll need to add more staff again, and so on.

And then my principal said that even though we were expanding, our budget wasn't increasing: we'd be getting the exact same amount of money, but 25 more kids. And therefore, we were going to cut all enrichment programs. No ballroom dance next year. No robotics. No chess. No art. No Dreamyards.

I asked a few this can't be real questions. It was real (in my dream).

"If that's true, then I quit," I said.

And I quit teaching.

*****

I woke up angry, my heart pounding.

4 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

Wow. In our school the principal discovered he wasn't required to offer ESL content classes, so he just killed them all.

It's more cost-effective that way, apparently.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Chaz said...

Ms. Frizzle;

I hope it was just a dream. In today's DOE doing more with less is the standard operating procedure.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a time this nightmare was a reality.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

2:58 PM  
Blogger RDA said...

I seem to share the same nightmare. Just hope that it doesn't come true for all of us.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home