Monday, January 16, 2006

Nine-by-four

Thank goodness for a meme every now and again:

Four jobs you've had:
1. Baker - Hundreds of pie crusts. Thousands of peaches peeled. Burned fingers from turning over biscotti before their second baking.
2. Cocktail waitress - I was 18 years old and didn't drink. I didn't know the names of any kind of alcohol and didn't get any real training, so when people asked me "What kind of vodka do you have?" I'd have to run back to the bar and ask. Inevitably, I'd forget most of it by the time I got back to that table.
3. Bookseller - The place had that intellectual yet comfortable feel that good bookstores have. My boss flirted with all the women who came in, talked to the playwrites, actors, and artists about their projects, and slipped me a hundred dollars bonus in cash on good weeks.
4. Environmental Educator - the good version of this job was working for the Environmental Volunteers. I visited dozens of schools, taught classes, and took students on field trips to the Bay, to Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve, and to the San Andreas Fault. The dysfunctional version of this job was six months spent working for the eccentric heir to the Macy's fortune. There was little pressure on her to actually complete any of her myriad interesting projects. In theory, she and I were developing an EE program for a local "last chance" high school. It went nowhere.

Four places you've lived:
  • Lenox, MA
  • Synergy Co-op (at Stanford) - my hippie co-op days
  • Touch of Grey - Yes, that's my landlord in the green dancing bear costume....
  • New York City

Four websites you visit daily:
New York Times
my school's webpage
post-hip chick
various other blogs
all my email accounts

Four television shows you love to watch:
Umm....

Four of your favorite foods:
Ice cream
Blueberry pancakes
Ethiopian food
Homemade pizza

Four albums you can't live without (at least for the moment):
I actually don't have any of these albums because I've discovered them through iTunes, but right now I can't live without lots of songs by...
  • Holly Golightly
  • the one am radio
  • Iron & Wine
  • Shivaree

Four places you'd rather be:
  • Amsterdam (I guess this would be the time to mention that I bought a plane ticket for February break...)
  • San Francisco
  • ...there is this one particular apartment in Brooklyn...
  • Antarctica, or Turkey, or Iceland, or Paris, or India, or a tropical island....

Tag! You're it!:
post-hip chick
mr. e
tmao
scriptorium

1 Comments:

Blogger posthipchick said...

1. I did mine.
2. Amsterdam? In February? AWESOME! I'm so jealous.
3. #3 broke my heart a little.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home