Tuesday, February 14, 2006

An Early Valentine, & an Experiment

The song I can't stop listening to. Reason alone to buy the album. Another reason: her songs are perfect for those of us obsessed with love and death. (Isn't everyone?)

Melt Your Heart
Jenny Lewis

It's bound to melt your heart
One way or another
It's bound to melt your heart
For good or for bad
It's like a valentine
From your mother
It's bound to melt your heart


*****

When I was a kid, we made Valentines at home. My mom has a box of heart-shaped templates cut from thick pieces of cardboard. We'd buy doilies and red, pink, and white construction paper, and stickers, seals, and rubber stamps, and glitter and candy hearts, and we'd spend a weekend afternoon writing Happy Valentine's Day in cursive in purple marker. We did not buy pre-made cartoon-character Valentines.

In middle and high school, we had a Carnation Sale on Valentine's Day, to raise money for the PTO or somesuch. You could buy red to mean love, pink to mean friendship, and white to mean anonymous. Every year, my best friends and I would send each other pink carnations, and sigh a little as one or two girls received flower after flower. It didn't do any permanent damage, and my school is doing a similar kind of sale this year for the first time.

In college, my house had a Valentine's Day party every year. I lived in a hippie co-op, and everyone dressed up in sexy costumes, and a funk band played. One year, I sewed myself a red tube skirt literally as the band warmed up. Another year, I invited an uptight boy who arrived early in a wool sweater.

My mom sent Valentine's care packages, with candy hearts, homemade cards, chocolate, and foil confetti hearts. She still does. They usually arrive sometime in March; it's part of the charm.


I've had anti-Valentine's Day parties with friends. I've had romantic Valentine's dinners with boyfriends. I've gone to strange and fantastic concerts. I've ignored it altogether. I'm not for or against.

And I have a very sweet little orange cat who came to live with me on Valentine's Day, and was thus christened Valentine.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jenny lewis is AMAZING
if youd like me to burn you all the rilo kiley cd's and send them to you, i will
love mary

11:46 PM  
Blogger posthipchick said...

I was just thinking that people who get sad on Vday should go adopt an animal- or volunteer at a shelter that day. Nothing warms your heart the same way.

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah! Hooray, for the beautiful little cat who stole my heart one Valentine's day! Give her a kiss for me, and thank you for posting a picture!!

2:02 PM  
Blogger ms. v. said...

okay, so the link doesn't work. later, people

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Followers of this site will do well to pick up the latest edition (Feb 20) of New York Magazine.

Read the "Save A School, The Hedge Fund Solution", article. All about P.S. 65 in Queens and how Joel Greenblatt shows you can take one of the worst performing schools in the city and turn it into a winner with only an extra $1,000 per student.

This school's students are mainly poor South American and South Asian immigrants. The school is housed in a former airplane parts factory. It is run by Beth Longo and formerly run by Iris Nelson.

Greenblatt is a wealthy Wall Streeter who runs a hedge fund -- Gotham Capital.

His second foray into running schools has taken him to Harlem Success Academy, a charter school in Harlem. Iris Nelson has been hired as a consultant and the executive director of the school is Eva Moskowitz.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home