Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Still waiting.

There has been nothing from FedEx, or in the mail. And so I'm still waiting. I found a Turkish class at NYU, but I am waiting to enroll until I know. I'm not good at waiting. It makes me do things like sit at home on sunny days, thinking that any minute the doorbell will ring, the package will arrive, and then I will go to yoga. Or, after being out of town for three days, I take a cab home from Union Square so that I can arrive in time to stop at my building's office just in case something came while I was gone. And then there's nothing, and I'm still waiting.

*****

Making it all the more suspenseful, I have actually received postings about at least two teaching jobs that sound amazing for creative, experienced science teachers. I can't apply to either at the moment, but if you're interested, send me an email and I'll pass the info along to you. And of course, my current school is also hiring, and is also an amazing place to work. I'm only thinking of leaving because the commute is taking years off my life. So, if you're a super-fantastic science teacher in NYC or the Bay Area, and you need a new job, get in touch!

2 Comments:

Blogger jonathan said...

You might want to pick up a "Teach Yourself" book in the meantime. You can get used to vowel harmony, but it takes some practice.

They call the language "agglutinative" because you keep slapping suffixes and infixes into words and end up with phrases expressed as a single word. The structure is quite regular, but a little head start might help.

The numbers show no obvious connection to Indo-European or Semitic numbers. You might start with them:

1 bir
2 iki
3 üç (ü as in German, ç = ch)
4 dört (ö as in German)
5 bes (the s needs a hook under it and sounds like sh)
6 alti (this i should have no dot, sounds like the vowel in "could")
7 yedi
8 sekiz
9 dokuz
10 on (between awn and own)
11 on bir
12 on iki
...

things get messy at 20.. :)

(With some luck I will be there for part of July)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Lothe said...

Try the Pimsleur system (it looks like they do offer a Turkish program). It's strictly for the spoken language, so you'd need something else for the written system, but as far as it goes it's phenomenal. It's also quite pricey (try eBay for slightly better deals), but you might try one of the smaller packages and see if you like it before "upgrading" to the full course. I can't recommend Pimsleur highly enough for learning a new language.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home