Monday, May 29, 2006

...and they show such engagement with new ideas.

I replied to the student whose email I quoted yesterday. Here is his response; doesn't it speak for itself?
that is so awesome Istanbul? wow, that is really exciting we are very happy and excited for you(take me with you lol) ... i guess maybe you should learn some turkish i had a friend from north Cyprus and he spoke turkish. you prabably already know this but:
Monhabat= hello (not sure if thats spelled correctly.
Monhabat begen nasusu= hello hjow are you today(again with the spelling)

*****

I am back from the edge of the cliff as far as doing or not doing the exchange is concerned, but it's going to take me a long time to feel happy about school again. Not the teaching, or the kids; it hasn't been them in a long time. Rejection sucks. Maybe I need a thicker skin. Or to care less in the first place.

*****

Seeing old friends? Valuable.

Seeing old friends and giggling over Cosmo at Coney Island? Priceless.

*****

Here's a whimsical video. Be sure to read the gravestones (but don't let your kids read them). I'm going to see the band whose music inspired the video, Psapp, along with Jose Gonzales and Juana Molina, at the end of June. And the best part? It will be summer then!

It's only kind of summer, and loneliness ain't the problem, but I give you anyway: The Loneliness of Summer, by Jim Dwyer. Another one not for kids. It's not cheerful, but there's something to it.

1 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

Maybe I need a thicker skin. Or to care less in the first place.

I don't think so. The fact that you care makes you a much better teacher. And what do you think it is you're gonna be doing out there in Istanbul anyway?

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home