Thursday, June 08, 2006

Never call yourself akılsız, even when you feel that way...*

This is how I imagine my attempts at Türkçe are going to go:

Nasılsın? (How are you?)

...
...
...
...

(5 minutes later...)

Az hastayım. (A little sick. This is why I'm home... the kids have the day off today, and I'm staying home to try to kick my bad cold before our sailing trip tomorrow.)

Neredesin? (Where are you?)

...okay, I'm at the train station...

...tiren istasyon...

...except that's a noun modification...

...tiren istasyonu...

...now, I need the suffix for location...

...tiren istasyonuda...oops... use an "n" before a suffix after a noun modification...

...tiren istasyonunda...

...now I need my personal ending...

...word ends in a vowel, personal ending starts with y...

...a goes with ı...

...tiren istasyonundayım...

(forty minutes later)

Tiren istasyonundayım! (I am at the train station!)

Awesome.

*My teacher explained that the Turks never refer to themselves as "stupid" when they mess up, like many people do in English. They just say Çok fena - Very bad - and move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home