Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Talk about a teachable moment...

I'm not feeling well and am immersed in finalizing the details of Friday's sailing field trip, but here's something I hope never happens on any of my trips...

In other news, some of our seventh graders lit a book on fire in the classroom during social studies class. The teacher was in the doorway, speaking privately to another student. By "fire," I mean actual flames, not just a singed corner of a page. Flames, people. Apparently, they had a lighter that looked like a pen, and had been passing it around all day, threatening to jump anyone who snitched.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Should I feel better about my 4th grader who set a bathroom on fire at my school this year? I wasn't ACTUALLY in the room when he did it. Sometimes you just want to cry.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Lady Strathconn said...

10th grade English I had a guy that should have retired many, many years before...

the rowdy boys in my class used to do things like superglue things to the desks (the future teacher in me tried to make them stop, it wasn't the teacher's classroom), but the capper was the fires.

They used to burn and melt things with their Bics. My favorite was the webbed straps on their backpack, boy did that smell good (blech).

All through the year they did this, they wanted to see if he would notice. He never did, until one day in the spring. We could all smell smoke and we looked around the room, but saw nothing. Someone noticed smoke outside the (second story) window. A trash can had been set on fire in the bathroom below and the janitor took it outside. Several students were looking out the window and talking. They returned to their seats.

Only then did the teacher look out over the room, where no one was misbehaving, and say "Is someone smoking?"

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home